Who We Are
The Socialist Party of Maine is a statewide democratic socialist organization that works for and models the creation of an egalitarian society in which everyone has the possibility to seek fulfillment without facing barriers based on structural inequalities. We are members of Socialist Party USA.
The following points represent the key ideas of agreement of the Socialist Party USA.
• The Socialist Party is a democratic socialist organization. We see socialism as a new social and economic order in which workers and consumers control production and community residents control their neighborhoods, homes and school and the production of society is used for the benefit of all humanity, not the private profit of a few.
• We see the working class as in a key and central position to fight back against the ruling class and its power. The working class is the major force worldwide that can lead the way to a socialist future – to a real radical democracy from below.
• We stand in opposition to all forms of oppression including but not limited to racism, sexism and homophobia.
• We are a “multi-tendency” organization. We orient ourselves around our principles and develop a common program, but our members have various underlying philosophies and views of the world. Therefore we reject vanguardism and democratic centralism.
• Our tactics in the struggle for radical democratic change reflects our ultimate goal of a society founded on principles of egalitarian, non-exploitative and non-violent relations among all people and between all peoples.
• We advocate for independent political action outside the Democratic and Republican parties.
The Socialist Party USA of Maine is involved in a number of activities. We hold regular meetings, some where we conduct Party business and plan events, others where we share and explore topics relevant to our mission. We participate collaboratively with other organizations such as the Food AND Medicine organization in Brewer, Maine, the Peace and Justice Center of Eastern Maine in Bangor.